The Gallier House Photography Workshop
You are invited to join Brittany and one of her muses for the experience of a lifetime. She has spent 10 years In Rooms and this is the first time she is hosting a workshop in the city that has both defined and nourished her artistic experience. This 1 day on location photography workshop covers the inner workings of her artistic process, from planning, inspiration to on set guidance and constructing your personal vision. All of this takes place in the picturesque French Quarter. The shooting element takes place in the historic Gallier House, a private museum not normally accessible for fine art photography. The lecture, group exercises and private one on one are in her private gallery and historic residence.
Limited to 6 photographers/ self portrait artists
* proceeds support The Trevor Project, a mental health resource and suicide hotline for the LGBTQ+ community
Lecture & Shoot Date: TBA - 2023
Recap & Private 1 on 1: Zoom or in New Orleans , scheduled after workshop
Performer: Abby Holgerson
Why take this experience?
In my decade exploring photography, I have continued to seek out spaces and experiences that are intimate, inspirational & otherworldly. It is my gift to partner with The Gallier House after spending a year photographing in the home and share the experience. I believe so passionately that artists have a unique voice and vision and with guidance and support I hope this experience awakens something deep within you, I hope it builds community, enriches the soul and welcomes you all to the intimate working of In Rooms.
- Explore the historic home of The Gallier House as a backdrop for narrative and personal photography and receive private time with the home and performer to photograph
- Work under the guidance and unique perspective from world-collected artist Brittany Markert
- Photograph or collaborate in self portraiture with experienced model and performer with historical costuming
- Discover how to create with intention and utilize your own voice with photographic equipment
- Learn Brittany's unique meditation and philosophy of photography to approach constructing your images
- Work with highly curated antique environment and historic costuming in the parlor and courtyard (as filmed in Interview with the Vampire).
- Discuss the relationship between your personal journey in life and photography and how this can translate into developing your individual voice in the fine art genre.
- Come away from this experience with a fine art images and guidance to deepen your photographic practice
- Following your session, participate in group review and receive a 1:1 consulting session (in person or zoom) from Brittany Markert.
- ***Optional (receive custom darkroom lesson after workshop)
- A brief lecture on fine art photographers and self portrait artists who have informed Brittany's practice
- Building consent and having professional protocol when working with a fine art model or actress.
- How to incorporate personal experiences and storytelling into your artistic practice
- How to construct a narrative utilizing environment, lighting, a subject and your personal vision that is unique to your style
- Specific goals to pursue moving forward with your fine art work.
Location: New Orleans, LA
Participants: 1 person
Inclusions: All instruction, location, production, basic lighting and model fees.
Exclusions: Travel to and from New Orleans, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: Tripod, manual lenses
*** Brittany's process is with analog photography but digital is welcome